Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Charlene and school (Dez version)

It's me, Charlene's daddy.

Charlene's mummy remembered so many happy memories of Charlene in school.

Typically after work, mummy will excitedly recount what Charlene did in school. That becomes the way I connect to Charlene's lives... through Mummy's stories.

Somewhere along the line, the teachers started doing updates in the comms book. And they added photos into the comms book, showing the parents what their kids did in school. I think its a great initiative because for parents who can't accompany their kids to go to school, the comms book becomes the only avenue for the parents to connect with the kids' lives.

For me, I'm blessed that I have mummy telling me all the stories, because as those who know her, you will know that mummy is a very animated story teller!

To Rainbow school teachers, I truly respect them for the choice of their career. We know the pay isn't high and the career prospects are poor.... but to see them putting in so much love for the kids who normal society  dismiss... it's comforting to the parents.

There is a saying that goes "The measure of a civilization is how it treat its weakest members". There are many variations of it, and the one which I like best is:-

The test of the morality of a society is what it does for its children.  ~Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Surely, the greatest test will be what the society does for its disabled and special needs children. While I am disenchanted with some of the responses we get from people about our special needs kids, the loving actions of the Rainbow school teachers fills me with a glimmer of hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment