Friday, April 8, 2011

8 Apr 2011

Charlene saw her paediatrician (Dr Natalie Epton) today. She was smiling happily at Dr Natalie and when Dr Natalie was speaking to her, Charlene responded (by making noise). Charlene is growing well. She has grown taller (77cm) and weighs 10.9kg. Thank God for sustaining her. Bear in mind that she is still drinking only 550ml of milk a day (and nothing else, except water and 50ml of pear juice).

Can't remember what we were talking and I started telling Dr Natalie of how I felt yesterday when the therapist said that Charlene is severely disabled. She suddenly hugged me. And she hugged me for a long time. While hugging me, she told me how great a job I am doing. She said that among all the patients she had, no one was better taken care of than Charlene. She said that nobody love Charlene more than I do. She said that what I was doing was honorable. She said that she knew how difficult it was and how tiring it must have been. And she said that God can see what I am doing. She also said that she only gave a few parents her handphone number and she gave me because she knew that I would not abuse this kind gesture and that I care so much for Charlene that I would ask for her help when needed. As she said all these, it touched me so much that I started crying. And she was tearing too.

She said that she celebrate every little progress that Charlene made with us. She said that when Charlene smiled at her previously, she was so happy that she almost cried and she told her fellow colleagues (who all knew who Charlene was) that Charlene smiled at her. And today, her highlight of the day is that Charlene responded ('talking') to her. She said she will go home and tell her husband about it. She also said that she never would have thought that Charlene could make these cooing sounds given her very poor start in life.

I am very touched by Dr Natalie's gesture today. All this while, she has been responding to all my sms queries promptly. I thank God for sending Dr Natalie to us. When we knew that Charlene's paediatrician was her, we were surprised.We hardly knew her when Charlene was in NICU. Dez only met her once and I met her twice. But she really is an exceptional doctor. One who goes the extra mile and shows care, concern, empathy and understanding. Thank you Dr Natalie! We look forward to celebrate Charlene's every milestone with you.

Thank you Lord Jesus for sending us such a great doctor whom we can trust upon!

No comments:

Post a Comment