Thursday, June 20, 2013

The Sacred Search (Dez)

One of my friends asked me a question: "How do I know whether my girlfriend/ boyfriend is the right gal/guy for marriage?"

I tried to shared my experience with him/her. But I didn't think I managed to give him/her a good response.

The question was on my mind for an entire week. I spoke to my wife, and she gave me her inputs as well.

I decided to get the friend a gift. I not sure why, but I know I wanted to get a book for him/her though no title came to my mind.

And there I found the book during the church camp, when the church committee arranged for a Christian bookshop to set up a stall during lunch time. It was not the first book that I saw. I actually picked up a few books, but they didn't look appropriate, and I put them back after looking at the back cover. When I picked up "The Sacred Search", it felt *right*. The back cover wasn't very informative, but the caption at the front page caught my attention.

"What if it's not about who you marry, but why?"
(Note: The caption can be interpreted in the wrong way, and be skipping the issue. But rest assured, the question and answer starts the book at the right footing. It forms the thread of thought that spans across the book.)

I passed the book to my wife to ask for her opinion, and surprisingly, she gave the book a few glances and she nodded her head. She usually has little to say about books, and she is honest enough to give a shrug when she doesn't have any opinions. So to get a resounding yes from her confirms my choice.

So I bought the book, intending to give it to my friend as a present. Not knowing whether he/she is a book person, i decided to browse through the first few chapters of the book, to digest the central theme, so that maybe i can guide him/her through.

I ended up blazing through the book, from cover to cover, within a single night. It's a damn good book! I couldn't put it down and I just have to finish it.

I won't do the book justice by trying to give a review. I recommend all Christian singles/couples to take a read.

It is not that suitable for non-Christians, because the book was written for Christians in mind, and some non-Christians may have difficulty assimilating the points put forth by the book. As someone who has been a non-Christian in a relationship with a Christian, I can understand what some non-Christian may feel. However, I think it has application values even to non-Christians too.

Friends, if you read the book and wants to talk about it, contact me, heheh... I think i will enjoy the discussion. If you want to borrow the book, let me know too (cos I intend to buy another copy for myself! :P)

No comments:

Post a Comment